One PhD position is immediately available. The student will work on one of the following research areas:
- Stochastic modeling and deep learning-based design of microstructural materials in energy storage systems: develop advanced techniques including statistical characterization and reconstruction, image processing, numerical modeling, and machine learning to provide scientific insights into the microstructure-property relationship, in support of material design.
- Design optimization, machine learning, and uncertainty quantification for Additive Manufacturing (AM): develop machine learning enhanced design methodologies to accelerate design and additive manufacturing of metamaterials and structures.
The prospective student will primarily focus on computational research, but may also be involved in design prototyping using 3D printing and experimental testing.
If interested, please send your CV to Dr. Hongyi Xu at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also submit all required documents in the application system of the Graduate School.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Computer Science, or a closely related field.
- MS degree with research experiences and good publication is a plus.
- Programming skills in Python and/or MATLAB.
- Experience in conducting Finite Element Analysis.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis, data mining, and machine learning is preferred.
- Self-motivated, strong interests in coding and quantitative methods.
Dr. Xu’s group also provides research opportunities for undergraduate and master students. If you are interested in programming and simulation, please contact Dr. Xu for more details.